Rearranging files and folders

johnexpgn 18:17 29 Apr 2006

What is the best software that will enable the rearranging/relocation of files and folders? The usual problem after such a reorganisation, is that other programs are often not able to trace files and folders that they depend on to operate their projects.Is there anything out there that will sort this out?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 29 Apr 2006

I have only read about it but never tried it. Apparently you can create "symbolic links" under 2K/XP which allow you to create folders on one drive which act as aliases to another drive, the software to accomplish symbolic links is found here: click here

woodchip 21:32 29 Apr 2006

Why What are you trying to do? and Why

The Spires 23:01 29 Apr 2006

click here It works very well too.

The Spires 23:02 29 Apr 2006

Sorry EZ File Transplanter from the link.

johnexpgn 10:47 30 Apr 2006

I am for example:
wishing to rearrange 'My Pictures' folder into several folders and subfolders as it is getting too large.I may wish to put blocks of these pictures onto DVD to save storage space on the hard drive and it would be convenient if these blocks were put into folders that did not exceed the capacity of a DVD disc.
The problem with just doing this anyway is that some of the images are linked to graphics projects and slide show projects in Pictures to Exe and if I start moving the original files around the Graphics program or Pictures to Exe will not be able to find them.
I have had a brief look at the EZ File Transplanter and that looks very promising.
Thanks very much for that!
If anyone knows anything similar let me know and I will see which is best.

johnexpgn 10:57 30 Apr 2006

Sorry!
I should have said 'I may also wish to put blocks of these pictures onto DVD to save storage space on the hard drive...etc'. and that is one reason for rearranging the existing files on the hard drive as well as making it easier to file and categorise new items.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?