Realtek - saying not connected

etoile06 08:41 28 Sep 2006

Hi. I am trying to install my belkin to my new PC (French) via an ethernet cable. I have done ipconfig /all and its showing that its disconnected. I also have an icon bottom right of the screen with a red cross though it. Also in add/remove it shows realtek but with no size i.e; 20mb etc The other thing in systems I have checked against the realtek and it states that is active and functioning correctly.
Realtek RTL8139/810x family Fast Ethernet NIC. If anyone can advise me if I am meant to do something or can check anything else. I'm normally ok with PC things but i'm just getting use to XP and also all the French Techie terms!
Thank you in advance. Etoile

ade.h 14:12 28 Sep 2006

There shouldn't be any Realtek entry in "Change or Remove Programs" unless you have a Realtek sound chip. Ethernet ports do not use management software.

1) Is the device installed correctly (Device Manager)?
2) Is it enabled?
3) Is the DHCP Client service running?
4) Is TCP/IP enabled on this adapter?

etoile06 15:59 28 Sep 2006

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes its says it is working but in local network connection (control panel) it says Câble réseau non branché (which means network cable not connected) Also no green light at back of PC on ethernet socket (think there normally is) I have been out to buy a new ethernet cable just to make sure.
the WAP is working ok as had it on old PC.
this is some of the command print out;
Carte Ethernet Connexion au réseau local:

Statut du média . . . . . . . . . : Média déconnecté
Description . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Adresse physique . . . . . . . .:

Sorry how do I find
3) Is the DHCP Client service running?
4) Is TCP/IP enabled on this adapter? think this is on ipconfig /all
Thanks in advance
E

ade.h 16:33 28 Sep 2006

3) is found in the services managment console. Run services.msc (or the French equivalent?!) You'll find that to be one of the most useful and commonly used of all the management consoles.
4) is found in the adapter's properties dialogue box. Nothing to do with ipconfig.

It's worth bearing in mind that the connectivity warning on LAN ports can sometimes produce a false positive. Sometimes, users have to turn off their notifications because of this. The proof of the eating is the pudding, so try accessing the router's configuration interface anyway.

ade.h 16:35 28 Sep 2006

By the way; do you really have a light next to your LAN port? I have never seen that before. It seems a bit pointless except for folk who like crawling around the back of PC towers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone