Realtek RTL8139 v's D-Link DSL Router

scott0004 20:44 25 Oct 2006

Hi,

I bought a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router, and set it up on my home pc downstairs and after much hard work got the connection sent upstairs to my laptop via the D-Link wireless adaptor.

Problem.........I have damages the adaptor, it unfortunatly doesnt work in my laptop no longer so I'm trying to get up the built in Realtek RTL8139 to receive the wireless internet signal.

If I'm honest I have absolutly no idea what to do! I have a good basic knowledge of pc's and laptops but wireless internet and networking just puzzles me!!

Can anyone just run me through the basics of what I need to do please, I am lost without my connection to my laptop as my work is very much internet based.

Many Thanks in advance.

Scott H.

Danoh 21:27 25 Oct 2006

You do not say, so I shall presume your home PC is wired to your D-Link wireless router and working with internet access, etc.

1) Finish network set-up by setting security (esp for wireless connections)
> Change the default Router Configuration Page's password to one of your own
> Change the default SSID to one of your own
> Set wireless data traffic encryption on (preferably using WPA instead of WEP) and set as unique and as long a password as possible

2) Setup your common Workgroup & computer names
On both your home PC and (work?) laptop;

>Start >Control Panel >System - Computer Name tab ~ Change button
> Change the Default MSHOME to ShtWkGrp name
> Set a unique (but short) name for each computer

3) Check that your desktop is still connected ok and able to access the internet

4) Add a preferred wireless network connection on your Laptop

Start> Control Panel> Network Connections>
Right mouse-click on “Wireless Network Connections” and select “properties”.
Select the “Wireless Networks” tab.
REMOVE any “Preferred networks” entries you see in the box.

Then ADD a new “Preferred network” entry again.
Repeat your SSID, WPA (or WEP) selection and Passphrase setup.
Click Ok.

Your laptop should now automatically find your own network and connect to it. (Make sure you are close to your router during setup to avoid poor radio transmission adding more confusion at this stage.)

Danoh 21:43 25 Oct 2006

Oopss!! Don't remove any recognised Wireless Networks from your Laptop if they are for work or other known Networks.

scott0004 22:19 25 Oct 2006

Right Hi Donah,

Many thanks for your help so far.

Where can I find this SSID name on my home pc wired to my router?

Also the trouble is not just connection to the network, my wireless card isnt even finding any networds availiable, I'm confused!

mgmcc 00:07 26 Oct 2006

<<< I have damages the adaptor, it unfortunatly doesnt work in my laptop no longer so I'm trying to get up the built in Realtek RTL8139 to receive the wireless internet signal. >>>

The built in Realtek RTL8139 is *NOT* a Wireless Network Adapter, it is a conventional network adapter that connects by ethernet cable.

If your Wireless Network Adapter has been damaged, you will need to install a new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone