Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

Dioxynucleic 13:28 21 Aug 2007

Greetings,

Recently installed the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (v. R1.73) on my machine, but hit a problem when I went to set up a 5.1 speaker system.

As every schoolboy knows, a 5.1 speaker system is made up of two front and rear speakers, together with a centre speaker and subwoofer. However, the Realtek Audio Manager setup has two side, rather than rear speakers, and there's no way the back speakers can be activated under this set-up.

Is this some kind of snafu on Realtek's part, or am I missing something here?

(It is possible to get round this problem using the 7.1 speaker setup and simply unticking/deactivating the side speakers, but I worry that this might lead to issues when playing back some media).

Technotiger 14:10 21 Aug 2007

Looks as if it is a Realtek driver problem, from what I can see it would appear that the newer driver is not as good (fewer options) as the old drivers.

click here

Fingees 14:15 21 Aug 2007

I don;t use 5.1, but on mine, if I go to control panel
realtek high definition manager
I can select 5.1, and it shows picture of speakers, and placement, together with plan of output jacks.

All looks as I would expect, with front speakers, sub woofer, and rear speakers.

malgall 15:17 21 Aug 2007

i have 5.1 and i have set it up on more than one computer i have seen software some call them two rear others list them as side in the end its the same set thing

Stuartli 15:38 21 Aug 2007

I have the straightforward Realtek onboard sound and the Sounds Manager configuration includes the facility to select the correct input/output panel layout, along with six channel (i.e. 5.1) configuration.

Dioxynucleic 16:03 21 Aug 2007

When I selected the 5.1 configuration and came to test the speakers, the side speakers, which I don't have, sounded faintly through the sub-woofer!

There is simply no option to activate the rear speakers. They remain stubbornly greyed out. They don't appear at all on the graphic: what you see are two front and side speakers, a centre speaker and the sub-woofer.

The speakers are plugged into the correct sockets. The 5.1 configuration works perfectly on the default Microsoft driver and on my external Creative Audigy s/card --- which, unfortunately, had other issues.

It's a bit of a drag because the Realtek driver provides better sound quality than the Microsoft one.

I may go with the 7.1 configuration, sans side speakers, but that may create problems with some sound sources.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?