RealPlayer deletion

bpzoom 22:00 23 Aug 2004

Windows XP Home.
Have read somewhere that it is difficult to get rid of RealPlayer. I have uninstalled it and gone through searches in registry and deleted anything that looks like RealPlayer. Despite all that, every time I try to log on to AOL, up pops a message on the lines of "RealPlayer is no longer your default player do you wish to make it your default player?" I cannot find where the source of this may be in order to delete it. Any advice welcome. I have Windows Media Player as default.

VoG II 22:13 23 Aug 2004

click here**&p_li=&p_prod_lvl1=3&p_prod_lvl2=11&tabName=tab0

VoG II 22:14 23 Aug 2004
  iambeavis 22:25 23 Aug 2004

One of the many reasons that I left AOL was the fact that Real Player is (or was then) their default player. Every time I uninstalled Real Player AOL reinstalled it imediately I went back online.

bpzoom 22:36 23 Aug 2004

Iambeavis, blimey no wonder it reappears everywhere in registry after I have deleted it ! Next call will be to AOL! Thanks VOG (again) I have printed off that helpful page.

iambeavis 22:50 23 Aug 2004

AOL and Real Player go well together - computer bindweed!

bpzoom 16:19 24 Aug 2004

Called AOL technical, very polite and helpful as always, did not know how to get rid of the request to install RealPlayer, referred it upstairs and neither did they know. Offered solution was to uninstall AOL and reinstall etc. I could not be bothered. Incidentally I have trawled through what I think is all the bits of Windows Media player and could find nothing about making it the default.I thought if I give in and install RealPlayer and then make WinMedia player the default I will be OK. Not sure what to do next.

iambeavis 16:24 24 Aug 2004

Start/set programme access and defaults.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?