RealOne alternative

sjbell 10:15 09 Jan 2003
  sjbell 10:15 09 Jan 2003

Is there an alternative programme that will play Real video and audio files? (Preferably free!)

giimgiim 10:43 09 Jan 2003

In a word, No. Some applications, Irfanview for one, will play Realaudio, but you still need RealPlayer/One to be installed.

I use an old version of the RealPlayer 8 Basic which I have locked down and blocked from internet access. Dont have a link at hand though.

Actually found it, take your pic click here

Jim.

leo49 12:11 09 Jan 2003

In a word, Yes.

click here

Admittedly I have the ProExtension version but that only adds recording features and other bells & whistles. The free version plays all Real Media.

Regards

giimgiim 12:36 09 Jan 2003

Hello,

That is a new one to me. How intrusive is the ad component in the "freeware" version?

The big bugbear for me with RealPlayer is how it pokes itself in everywhere. By clamping down on it and blocking access to the internet you can more or less tame it.

It is another route to getting the codecs etc. though.

Jim.

leo49 12:46 09 Jan 2003

I'm afraid I've no idea. I saw the Extension version on a friend's PC about a year ago and was so taken with it I signed up for it. I've totally uninstalled Windows Media Player and use Jet to play everything. One hope on the horizon is that Real were supposed to be going 'open source'[presumably to combat MS's media push]so more players with Realmedia capabilities should emerge, freeing folk from Real's creeping insidiousness.

Regards Leo49

giimgiim 13:13 09 Jan 2003

Thanks for that. Might give it a whirl. I am a bit anti the WMP9 that has just been released,

Jim.

Stuartli 13:42 09 Jan 2003

You need to carefully configure RealOne before letting it loose.........:-)

After that there's no problems.

northamuk 13:50 09 Jan 2003

Had a look at Jet Audio (AdWare) - but it installs Cydoor as well!

leo49 14:53 09 Jan 2003

Thanks for the info - didn't know that as I've never used the freebie.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires