Really odd Keyboard problem

Saznat 01:48 06 Dec 2005

I have bought an IGO 2000 series laptop and everything is fine except the number 9. If I press shift_9 I get "(", If i put numlock on and press 9 i get a number 9. However, with numlock off Pressing 9 apprars to do nothing

If I do something like open the "Run" window, the last command I typed is displayed (normal enough!) but if I erase that command and then press "9" it redisplays that command. It is as though the number 9 key is remapped somehow. If I then highlight that command with the mouse and press "9", the key works properly. Likewise, if I hold another key down and then press "9" and release that other key, I do get "9" too.

The rest of the keys are fine and since the "9" key does produce values on the screen, the key appears to not be broken.

I am at a loss as t what I can try next.
Has anybody else come across a similar problem or have a solution?

PaulB2005 07:57 06 Dec 2005

Is there a Function Lock key? Sometimes called "fn" and sometimes blue?

Does the 9 key have any blue characters on it?

Saznat 09:28 06 Dec 2005

The number 9 key is the number 9 in normal mode and also number 9 if I turn on Num Lock, so that a portion of the keyboard becomes a numeric keypad.

If I press 9 in normal mode while in a multi-combo box, I can select any item in the dropdown list and "9" will always reselct the first item, so the key is having an effect (Pity the effect isn't a nice number 9). If I turn on numlock, the same key becomes number 9 on the numeric keypad and it does produce the number 9.

Unfortunately it will so irritating pressing 2 keys to turn on numlock, type a "9" and then press 2 keys to turn it off again.

Any other ideas?

DieSse 09:57 06 Dec 2005

Can you tell us exactly what is on the 9 keytop, in what colours pls.

DieSse 10:00 06 Dec 2005

*If I do something like open the "Run" window, the last command I typed is displayed (normal enough!) but if I erase that command and then press "9" it redisplays that command.*

So does my desktop keyboard, so that at least is normal.

PaulB2005 10:03 06 Dec 2005

"I can select any item in the dropdown list and "9" will always reselct the first item"

9 is being used as a Page Up button in this case - i.e. when NumLock is Off...

"Likewise, if I hold another key down and then press "9" and release that other key, I do get "9" too. "

That's the weird bit...

DieSse 10:15 06 Dec 2005

And similarly, if you use the 8 key in the same circumstances, it selects the last itm in the list, owing to it's functioning as Page Down.

*Likewise, if I hold another key down and then press "9" and release that other key, I do get "9" too.*

Normally if you hold a key down, it should repeat - so what *other key* are you talking about?

DieSse 10:16 06 Dec 2005

And similarly, if you use the 8 key in the same circumstances

should say 3 key - sorry.

Saznat 13:29 07 Dec 2005

No other key behaves strangely. Press 8 and I get 8. With numlock on or off, the 9 key should type a 9. With numlock on it does and with it off, it doesn't type anything. With numlock off and pressing shift+9 it will correctly type "(".

The 8 key and any other key that forms part of the number pad, all work as they should.

To answer the question above, the 9 key won't type 9 when you press it. If I hold any other key down, it will repeatedly type that key's character. If I press 9 while holding that key down, hold nine down and release the other key, it will then be repeatedly typing 9.

If the 9 key was "dead" I would immediately assume "hardware failure" and consider replacing the keyboard but because of the way it behaves, I'm not convinced the keyboard is knackered and I certainly don't want to pay out to replace it if nothing is physically wrong.

Does anybody have any idea if this could be a problem within the XP software files or registry? Are there keys in the registry for remapping keys and I might have some eroneous setting? Is reinstalling XP from scratch likely to resolve it?

Any advice or observations will be very appreciatively received.
Thanks

DieSse 14:58 07 Dec 2005

With numlock ON you get 9 - that's correct

With numlock OFF it's the Page Down key - that's why it appears to do nothing most of the time (but dispays the last item in the run list, as that's what Page Down does.) If you use the keyboard with the numlock off - then

9 = Page Down

3 = Page Up

7 = Home

1 = End

2,4,6and8 = arrow keys

0 = Insert

that's how they should work.

In other words, I don't think you've got a problem - everything you've described is normal for a laptop.

Saznat 13:28 08 Dec 2005

You're not quite with me.

This is a laptop, so the number pad is formed from the qwerty keypad, so with numlock on or off, the 9 key should be 9. Other keys are numeric with numlock on and alphabetic keys with it off. These keys all work properly.

I have now made a bootable DOS CD and booted it from that and the same problem is evident, so I'm now assuming it must be a fault on the keyboard itself rather than software or operating system.

For now I've used the keyboard layout within the registry to to map the key to the left of '1' as a '9'. Not the best solution but it will do until I find a replacement keyboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?