Really daft wireless printer question!!!

I have a PC upstairs and a laptop downstairs. My current printer is upstairs and connected to the PC. I can access it on my home network (using broadband router) from the laptop as long as the PC is on.
I need to buy a new printer and would like to get a wireless one so that I can bypass the PC if I want to.
How would this connect to the pc upstairs? I understand how it works with the laptop but am a by confused about the PC!!

Pineman100 18:20 09 Dec 2008

If you want to communicate wirelessly with the printer from the upstairs PC, you'll need to attach a wireless adaptor to your PC. You can fit a USB adaptor or fit an internal card.

Fingees 18:56 09 Dec 2008

If you arte using a wireless router, set the new wireless printer to connect to the router instead of the desktop.

If your router is not wireless, then you can ony do as you are doing now, connecting wirelessly to your main computer.

Can I connect by lead to the PC and then wirelessly from the laptop without the PC being on?

Bump please :)

Rahere 20:22 09 Dec 2008

The problem will be if you can mix a wireless connection with a wired connection.

If the printer is advertised as a network printer then you should be ok - however you will probably have a problem connecting the printer using both wired and wireless at the same time if that's what you have in mind. So stick to one method and you shold be OK.

An afterthought - have you considered using a Homeplug system instead? Assuming you get a network printer you could try this which uses the mains wiring in your house as a network - just plug one in for the modem/router and one each for yoour other PCs and you can have a faster than wireless connection anywhere in your home.

ambra4 21:08 09 Dec 2008

“Can I connect by lead to the PC and then wirelessly from the laptop without the PC being on?”

What you need is a printer server, which is connected to the router via a Ethernet cable and

to the USB port on the printer plus it will allow you to print from your wireless laptop

Belkin Wireless-G All in One Print Server

click here

The printer I'm buying is a wifi printer so do I need an all in one print server as well?
I do have a spare wifi usb thingy which I could put in the pc if that makes it easier?

This is the spec for the printer if it helps!
USB: Hi-Speed USB - Compatible with USB 2.0 specification
Wi-Fi: Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/g - compatible with 802.11n
Ethernet: Wired LAN IEEE 802.3 (100BASE-TX, 10BASE-T)

ambra4 21:51 09 Dec 2008

“The printer I'm buying is a WiFi printer so do I need an all in one print server as well?

No, there would be no need for the printer server as the printer has build in wireless

“I do have a spare WiFi usb thingy, which I could put in the pc if that makes it easier?”

Yes you will have to install the spare WiFi usb thingy (Adapter) on the desktop

What is the make and model number

ambra4 21:58 09 Dec 2008

Or you can connect the printer via the USB port to the desktop and not worry about installing the

USB wireless adapter (thingy)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?