Real time protection

charlton200 20:33 25 Jan 2010

How many programs is it safe to run with realtime protection like: spybot, ad-aware and spyware terminator?
Do they conflict with each other or make the computer run slow?

Thank you.

charlton200 08:39 26 Jan 2010

If it's only one that I should run which one should it be, please?

JohnWilliams 09:59 26 Jan 2010

Only use one. I don't bother with real time protection other than AVG antivirus.

birdface 10:06 26 Jan 2010

I use the Pay for version of A squared Anti-Malware and AVG I believe both have full time protection but I could be wrong.
On my old computer I used to get conflicts with them maybe because I had not configured them properly to run with each other.
But on my new Tower I have no problem with them using Windows7.

birdface 10:13 26 Jan 2010

I would say you do need something with full time protection for when you are browsing.it saves you from getting hit with downloaders if you open a bad site.
I use both WOT and Link Scanner to warn me of bad sites which helps.But a few of the good sites that I have opened is when I have been attacked and that is where the full time protection kicks in and stops it.
I would say probably One Anti-Virus and One Anti-spyware program with full time protection should be fine.

JohnWilliams 11:43 26 Jan 2010

Or a combined antivirus and antispyware program such as AVG free. There's no need for anything else apart from one or two "on demand" scanners such as spybot and malwarebytes anti-malware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?