REAL TIME CLOCK

nogmog 18:21 31 Oct 2004

Can anyone tell me if the is any reason the RTC is inaccurate on boot, other that the Motherboard Battery.
It will stay accurate when set but is random on BOOTUP.

Dorsai 19:10 31 Oct 2004

IF you are refering to the built in clock on your motherboard, they are well know for being wildly inaccurate. The 'bit' they use to 'count time' is really rather cheap, and would compaire to the £1.99 watch you could buy from 'Del Boy' down the local market. After all, the manker of the board want to make a computer, not a clock.

There are a number of downloadable utilities that will automatically check the 'real' time and adjust your computer if it's wrong. Win XP has such a thing built in.

VoG II 19:19 31 Oct 2004

Replacing the motherboard battery should fix it, unless it has always been erratic.

Dorsai 19:33 31 Oct 2004

modern boards normally have a replaceable battery. Replacing it should not do any harm. But it is still a computer not a clock. I just would not expect any great accuracy from my PC.

Pesala 19:43 31 Oct 2004

Atomic Clock Sync (484K) click here

I sometimes find that my PC clock is off by a minute or two, although I use it regularly. Sometimes it is only a matter of a few seconds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone