Real player problems

tonyx1302 21:21 23 Apr 2006

I have just installed R/Player to watch a missed episode of The Apprentice on the BBC website.

It connects and loads ok but after watching for a minute or two the connection drops and I am told the it is 'communicating' and reloads to 100%. It runs again for short while only to happen again shortly

I am very new to media players and wonder if I am doing something wrong or that I have the right hardware installed to veiw a full progame via the Internet

XP with B/B via a newly installed router which is all new to me

Tony

Diodorus Siculus 21:33 23 Apr 2006

Could be that the site is over loaded - often if you try later such communication problems are sorted out.

As a preference to Real Player, I use Real Alternative and rarely get problems; google will find RA for you.

skidzy 21:34 23 Apr 2006

Hi Breitling...have you tried quicktime click here
Or try this for a different version of Real player,you may need to uninstall your current version. click here

anskyber 21:41 23 Apr 2006

Real Alternatve, I use it. click here

tonyx1302 22:09 23 Apr 2006

Thanks everyone. I will try all suggestions and report back tomorrow

Tony

tonyx1302 22:23 23 Apr 2006

I have deleted Real player and installed Real Alterative as recommended but everything still opens up in Real Player. How do I make R/Alternative my default media player please ?

Tony

george 22:35 23 Apr 2006

Hi,

If you have truly deleted Real Player the the alternative is playing the media. RPA also does not have all that tracking software attached to it.
You can also try Quicktime alternative as well, another excellent prog that does not try to load evey 2 mins.
Cheers,

George.

tonyx1302 22:40 23 Apr 2006

I have just tried to run The Apprentice again using R/Alt but I cannot get it to open .I have ticked all the right boxes to make R/Alternative the default but it is not reconised. I think I have deleted everything related to RealPlayer

Tony

tonyx1302 11:39 24 Apr 2006

I have ticked as resolved my previous post regarding media players but I now have another problem re media players.

I am trying to watch previously shown programs on the BBC web page. I had to down load,at their suggestion, RealPlayer. I found though that when I tried to watch anything on the site the connection would continual need to re connect every minute or so,as per my Sunday post

On asking advice from the forum it was suggested that I dump RealPlayer and use a better prog called Real Alternative.

The problem now is when connect to the web site it tries to run in Real Player and doesn't acknowledge R/Alternative. Does the Beeb website only run with RealPlayer if not, how can I make it use my prefered media player? I ticked all the correct boxes when downloading R/Alternative to make it my default player

Tony

skidzy 19:23 24 Apr 2006

Have a look at the 2nd link i posted earlier,maybe one of the options availble will help you.

Or have you already tried ?

skidzy 19:25 24 Apr 2006

Can you post the link to the program in question Breitling,this will help us find out if it downloads ok or if its a problem with your pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?