real player 10 connection problem

2neat 23:35 27 Jan 2006

cant seem to get real p to play clips from net. on 1 m bb, belkin 54g router, xp home & prof.
No problem with windows media connecting. wont work on desktop pc hard wired to router or wireless laptop. next door has unsecured connection which i connected to and real p worked. i tried switching the firewall off but no joy. any ideas.
regards

ade.h 21:47 28 Jan 2006

Has Real Player been entered into your firewall's program access permissions?

2neat 22:16 28 Jan 2006

I have uninstalled real player & replaced with real alternitive. It was entered into windows firewall. I got it to play a clip on the BBC web site but it took ages to connect. Something is still not quite right! Windows media player works straight away. I enjoy watching click on the BBC each week & its in the real format.
Real pain eh !
regards

ade.h 22:28 28 Jan 2006

Second alternative is Jet Audio Basic. It has a free codec update for RM and RA files.

While you're downloading stuff, switch off Windows' excuse for a firewall and download one that can actually control outbound comms - click here The limited version is free and is only slightly limited.

2neat 22:39 28 Jan 2006

thanks for the info, however my router has a built in hardware firewall. I will post back if I find whats slowing connecting.

rdave13 22:44 28 Jan 2006

Make RP your default player.

ade.h 22:54 28 Jan 2006

NAT/SPI and software firewalls do very different things. You currently have no program launch control and no blocking of outbound comms, only inbound suspect packets. The former is of more importance on a home computer.

2neat 23:03 28 Jan 2006

thanks. Please remind me how to make real default. Check out this link click here Real interesting (pun intended)

ade.h 00:32 29 Jan 2006

Well, there's the basic and not very reliable way via the Program Access and Defaults page from the Start Menu, but the best way is to select file associations from a particular media player's options page. This tells Windows what program to run for a particular file, even if it was previously handled by another program

ashdav 01:33 29 Jan 2006
  2neat 08:48 29 Jan 2006

bingo! Great thread & thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?