Real Play instrusion

stlucia 07:58 15 Sep 2007

A short time ago I removed Real Player from my PC because it kept installing itself in my startup group.

Now whenever I start AOL (manually) I get a message saying Real Player is not installed and do I want to install it.

How do I stop this AOL message or, alternatively, if I reinstall the latest version of Real Player, is there a foolproof way to make it behave itself -- i.e. not install itself in my startup group?

My operating system is XP with the latest updates. I uninstalled Real Player (and removed it from my startup group several times) using CC.

Taff™ 09:10 15 Sep 2007

For some reason AOL seems to insist on Real Player and I must admit I`ve completely removed it from my system. You could try installing it again but make sure you take the advanced or custom install and deselect every file type available. I think there`s a button to do this on the selection dialog box at that stage. Also decline Google Toolbars and any of their newsletters, keep me informed etc etc.

Be careful because they ask you a second time during the installation! Now AOL should see the program is installed but doesn`t know you`ve effectively disabled it`s automatic start up. If you do get an icon in the tray, right click and explore the options. Deselect the start up option and display in tray options if they are there.

DerekR 09:12 15 Sep 2007

click here

Put this on your comp. Much better than Real Player, and does not try to take over your system

stlucia 11:15 15 Sep 2007

I'll give the Real Alternative a try, and report back.

Thanks also for the suggestions, Taff. If Real Alternative doesn't work (i.e. stop the AOL messages) I'll probably install the latest Real Player and watch out for the options during install.

stlucia 18:02 15 Sep 2007

Seems good! AOL is fooled by the presence of the Real Alternative, and hasn't asked me to install Real Player.

Thanks, DerekR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?