Ready built or build new PC

Billp64 19:15 07 Jan 2003
  Billp64 19:15 07 Jan 2003

I need a complete new PC When I look at specs in magazine and price components to build myself I cannot get near the price for self build let alone beat it.e.g Mesh Elite 2800 £1526.33
Are there any advantages in buidling when you want a complete computer. Perhaps there is a company that sales direct at trade and not retail to the public but checking Dabs ebuyer Watford etc I always have to pay more than a ready built computer.
Which are the cheaper reliable suppliers?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Elrond 19:22 07 Jan 2003

can't beat 'em. Join 'em!

.:º»[RjA]«º:. 19:27 07 Jan 2003

no, if you have the chance build it yourself. Remember the golden rules:

Ready Built=OEM=bad=limit future upgrades.
DIY Comp=u know whats inside=cheaper=satisfaction.

Try OcUK click here

or Simply click here

Both suppliers that i have good experiences with.

€dstow 19:40 07 Jan 2003

I don't actually build myself but I have my machines built for me. This is because I know what I want to be put in them in both hardware (including brand) and software. A commercial machine stuffed with cheap unknown and unlabelled hardware and loaded with heaps of cheap software that I will never use is most definitely not for me. I don't pay particularly over price for my machines, but I know I'm getting a good quality product.

€d

Gongoozler 19:40 07 Jan 2003

Billp64, if you shop around, you can build your own and probably just about match the cost of a ready built computer, but this is not a good reason for building your own. By the time you have ironed out the bugs, and with not having a warranty with a single supplier when something goes wrong it just isn't worth the bother. If on the other hand you enjoy a challenge, relish the prospect of debugging the software setup and look foreward to the glow of satisfaction when your own specified and built computer is doing just what you wanted it to do, then go ahead, perhaps spend a little more than the same pc would have cost ready built, and build your own.

Robert-272781 19:43 07 Jan 2003

If you like the specification of the ready built machine then buy because you will never be able to self build for the same price.

After much soul searching I bought from Multivision because I liked the components they used and provided the full XP disk not an OEM (this would be a problem later on if you want files that were not pre-loaded). They were also very helpful when I needed to contact their technical helpline (I didn't know what colour socket the speaker cable went into)

If you do buy ready built from anyone, I would add an extra 10 days onto the delivery date as I don't know anyone who has had a machine delivered on time.

If you have any questions after you get your machine, I recommend using and searching this helproom - its been fantastic in answering my queries.

That's my pennies worth, hope it helps.

Regards

Bob

.:º»[RjA]«º:. 19:45 07 Jan 2003

" don't actually build myself but I have my machines built for me. This is because I know what I want to be put in them in both hardware (including brand) and software. A commercial machine stuffed with cheap unknown and unlabelled hardware and loaded with heaps of cheap software that I will never use is most definitely not for me. I don't pay particularly over price for my machines, but I know I'm getting a good quality product. "

gg €dstow, you think like me. Sound advice if you want a decent comp.

.:º»[RjA]«º:. 19:52 07 Jan 2003

just been looking at reviews of branded pc in other comp mags (other mags, WTF?) from various manufacturers and was shocked by how slap stick they were put together - wires hanging everywhere etc. Images of a production line are brought to mind. Howver there are a few manufacturers that do take care

OPC (check this article out about how they build an OPC, its amazing: click here

You will never see a neater pc inside LoL.

€dstow 19:54 07 Jan 2003

I also want a REAL copy of the operating system and all other software with it, not some "recovery disk" or other euphemism for a CD which quite often does not do as it claims.

It is rare to get a real version of the O/S with most commercial builds and it seems to be coming common not to get any means of recovery or re-installing the O/S without paying an extra charge.

€d

jediknight007 19:59 07 Jan 2003

If you are a safe guy, get a ready built PC from a reputable supplier like Dell or Evesham since if anything happens, you can have it replaced for free under guarantee. With a custom-build PC, it won't always go trouble-free and you might experience some hardware conflicts or if you are unlucky enough, end up with fried components which costed you hundreds. I myself do get excited at the prospect of building my own PC but first of all, I would get a job and I would only build one that's kinda basic but upgradable for the future so that if anything happens, at least you didn't waste tons of money on it. If you are thinking of custom building a PC, then anything over the total price of £1,000 is too risky for my liking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone