reading a non-finalised CD

profi 15:21 26 Mar 2007

The hard drive on my daughter's (old) Dell Inspiron 1150 has 'died'. She got the blue screen of death, and has subsequently been advised to replace the HD.

She had backed-up her data to a CD or two, but since she cannot read the CDs on another machine, I suspect the sessions were not 'finalised'. Is there any way to finalise them post facto?

Staz 15:33 26 Mar 2007

you should be able to read the discs using the same burn software on a different pc

Stuartli 16:45 26 Mar 2007

I've got at least half-a-dozen non-finalised CD-Rs used in multisession mode containing dozens of programs, applications, utilities, fixes etc and have no problem using them on other systems.

profi 16:56 26 Mar 2007

Thanks both.

She is currently travelling, and phoned from Japan (where it is about 1 a.m. and she has had to relinquish the pc she borrowed earlier this evening).

I can try Staz's suggestion when she comes back to the UK (I too have an old Inspiron which probably uses the same software).

Stuartli's comments are more worrying, since they could indicate there is something wrong with the CD she used for backing up. I was more inclined to replace her laptop than try to get a replacement HD from Dell - unless that had proved the only way to try to read the CDs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?