reading attachments

bce 17:42 06 Dec 2007

I When opening some emails not all, I get this message as follows.

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Creat an association in the Set Associations control panel"

I have searched the control panel window and cannot find any referance to "Set Associations"

My computer is an Acer 7510 loaded with Windows Vista Media.

I would be grateful foe any help.

Regards Brian

brundle 18:27 06 Dec 2007

It depends what kind of file you're trying to open - images, audio, compressed?

*From Vista help files*
Open the folder that contains the file you want to change.

Right-click the file that you want to change, and then, depending on the type of file, either click Open With or point to Open With and then click Choose Default Program.

Click the program that you want to use to open this file.

Do one of the following:

If you want all files of that type to open in the same software program, select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

If you want only that file to open in the software program this one time, clear the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

VoG II 18:42 06 Dec 2007
  bce 17:58 09 Dec 2007

Thanks for the info Brundle. Problem is I dont know the type of file that has been attached to my email.Could it be somethyin to do with the security settings?
Regards Brian

100andthirty 18:23 09 Dec 2007

you should look at the file extension (the bit after the "." - should be only three characters.

Right click on the file and click on properties.

If it's an "exe" file, or something other than .doc, xls, ppt, pps, pdf, mp3, wma, aac, avi, wmv, jpg - common document, presentation, sound, video and photo files you should be wary unless you know who it's come from. If you don't know who it's come from then delete it and empty the deleted folder in your email program.

If you do know who it's come from, why not ask them.

There are free programmes to look at all of these.

There's also .docx - a new format from microsoft. I expect the Microsoft Word VIEWER will open this - it's free (only the viewer, not the full programme!

VoG II 20:12 09 Dec 2007

You won't be able to see the file extension unless you save the attachment to your hard drive.

Then see if the link that I posted a few days ago helps click here

100andthirty 20:41 09 Dec 2007

In Outlook, - at least my version - file extensions are shown

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone