Read Only Files

Snakey 15:15 11 Aug 2003

I have recently installed Win XP Pro on two PC's.
These PCs are networked so I can share Files. On the PC that Maps a Drive to Shared Folder on the other PC I am unable to edit/save new Office (2000)documents because the Shared Folder is marked as Read Only.

I have unchecked the Read-Only box in Properties of the Shared Folder and applied the changes for all sub-folders and files. It then completes the changes but when the Properties are checked again it is marked as Read-Only

I have logged in as Administrator and performed the same procedure. No Change.

I can howerver edit and save Documents from the PC with the Shared Folder.

I have also set that 'Any one on the Network can access and change these files'

Help please

spikeychris 16:25 11 Aug 2003

Make SURE you back up the registry if you want to follow this. I have come across this before and one possible solution was to hack the reg. However I added some users and changed the permissions of some others and it fixed itself, so again back up the reg first.

Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers and delete the key that begins with "24f14f01" don't touch the other that starts with "f02"

It seems as though office and explorer try the open the file at the same time, explorer trys to see if its read only and word trys to open it at time. The hack is ment to stop explorer checking for read only.

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click on the following key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers\{24F14F01-7B1C-11d1-838f-0000F80461CF} right click it and click Export.
In the Save in box, select a location where you want to save the Registration Entries (.reg) file, ie desktop, in the File name box, type a file name, ie backup and then click Save to desktop.

If it fails just double click the file on desktop and put it back.

Chris

spikeychris 19:01 12 Aug 2003

Snakey, you still in one piece?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone