READ FOR MORE INFO!!!

ashleycardwell94 23:47 03 Mar 2010

I have dismantled an old PSU, removing all components leaving just the fan. i have placed polystyrene insde like a layer. the fan has a PSU IDE power cable. i have a second working psu, i have been told that the green wire from the motherboard connector will activate the PSU and trick it into thinking that it's the motherboard requesting power. how do i use the green cable. do i touch it against any black wire on the connector, the red...

Im not sure

Thanks ashley!

DieSse 00:27 04 Mar 2010

"Im not sure"

I'm sure - you should not be messing inside a power supply if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

If it's faulty - capacitors and other components may explode. If you touch a wire in the wrong place it may burn out your power supply and may burn you out too.

There are extremely dangerous voltages, currents and stored charges inside switch mode PSUs.

I suggest you stop what you're doing NOW and dump the faulty PSU - they aren't worth the danger you're exposing yourself to.

lotvic 00:41 04 Mar 2010

Why are you trying to electrocute yourself?

That's mains power you are messing with. Don't.

ashleycardwell94 00:41 04 Mar 2010

i havent opened the PSU at all, i have an empty one, and a new one. all i have done is removed the green cable to the motherboard connection block, this powers on the psu to start up the compter, but what i want to know is where do i make the connection, i havent opened the new PSU!

DieSse 00:46 04 Mar 2010

I can't for the life of me understand what you're trying to do. Throw the old, dismantled PSU away NOW - and simply fit the new one to the system, if that's what you need.

ashleycardwell94 00:48 04 Mar 2010

on a forum site somewhere along the web, someone else has done it, i need to send a signal to the psu to activate it to turn on the power.

lotvic 00:56 04 Mar 2010

WHY?

ashleycardwell94 00:56 04 Mar 2010

people, god, or google... has belssed me with what im looking for

click here

thanks all for your support, (IN TRYING TO SAVE MY LIFE) but like i said, i have been blessed!

lotvic 01:13 04 Mar 2010

Yes, I'll pray for you blessed one, I hope you noticed the bright yellow warning sticker on the top of the PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017