Re-using XP Pro

pegangray 17:02 21 Oct 2008

I have a legal copy of XP Pro that i used as a program within Vista but found that the benefits were not as great as i hoped. I now want to use this version of XP Pro in a computer that i am building will I be able to do this? or will the fact that I have used it before stop me doing this?

Any ideas on how to use this program again?

PO79 17:14 21 Oct 2008

If it's a retail version, no problem. If it's OEM then strictly speaking it dies with the machine it came with, although you might be able to do it as you are building a new machine.

pegangray 17:19 21 Oct 2008

So it dies with the machine even if it was only a virtual one? It seems like an expensive test I have carried out! I will try it out on the new computer and hope for the best.

iqs 18:02 21 Oct 2008

I still have and use a copy of XP(pre service pack) which I still use that was included with my first PC I bought way back in 2001,it was a Medion.

The disc states it a recovery disc,but it installs first time every time.

I will still continue to use on my second self built PC.I bought the Medion PC with the OS,so its legally mine to use again and again.

I have since slip streamed it with SP2,but it still does the job.

iqs 19:05 21 Oct 2008

Beta,
I know what the EULA says,but surely If I purchased the PC and OS I'm free to re-install the OS on PC's I own or built.The OS has not been sold on,or installed on PC's not owned by me....

DieSse 19:15 21 Oct 2008

"...so its legally mine to use again and again."

Well the licence that you agreed to says it isn't.

I bought a retail copy of XP, at a much higher price, specifically so that I can transfer it from one machine to another.

Whatever we might both think privately about the was MS licenses its' products, you agreed to a set of terms and are now cheating on your agreement.

iqs 19:15 21 Oct 2008

When I bought the PC is was advertised with a Retail version of XP,not OEM..So was i mislead ??

My second and third PC did come with OEM versions,this were not used on any other PC.

When I purchased my forth PC(Evesham) last March,It was supplied/sold with a retail ver of XP Media Edition.
But the disc states Recovery disc like the Medion disc.

So with reference to the Evesham disc,is this a OEM or retail????

Cheers

DieSse 22:44 21 Oct 2008

"So with reference to the Evesham disc,is this a OEM or retail????"

It cannot be retail, as a retail version comes as an XP CD in a set of MS packaging with the Product Key attached to the folder.

OEM versions, whether with an OEM XP CD or anything else (or nothing other than a recovery procedure) have the Product Key on a holographic label attached to the system case.

I cannot see that a recovery CD can ever be a retail version.

If you do have a real XP CD yhat came in a folder with the Product Key attached to the folder, then you do have a retail version.

The different ways of attaching the label are the giveaway

- if it's on the case (or meant to be on the case) it's OEM and belongs to the system.

- if it's on a folder it's retail, and doesn't belong to a specific system (though it's still only allowed to be on one system at a time.)

jbaker65 08:54 22 Oct 2008

Even a retail version should only be used on ONE computer at a time.

pegangray 09:03 22 Oct 2008

To get back to my question which is basically Does using a copy of XP Pro on a virtual computer in Vista stop it being used again on a real one?

pegangray 09:05 22 Oct 2008

Oh yes and it is an OEM copy of XP Pro

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017