Re-using RW Discs

Monco 16:00 01 Oct 2005

I have an OEM version of Nero 6. The disc erasing function is inoperative. My question is - is it necessary to erase a RW DVD or CD before recording on it again, or will it be erased automatically when I try to record?
Thanks.

john-232317 16:22 01 Oct 2005

No you will need to erase first, cos all recordings are set as chapters until the disc is full.

Fingees 22:11 01 Oct 2005

You can download an updated nero from the Ahead site.
As you've already got v6, the trial download will run as a full version upgrade. this should solve your problem.

Monco 16:34 04 Oct 2005

Thanks to fingees, but won't this cost me? When I hit the update button I get offered an upgrade for about £41, which I consider rather steep as I have most of the prog., and I paid for the DVD player software also.

Any cheap solutions?

Thanks

pj123 17:00 04 Oct 2005

An "upgrade" is very different from an "update".

If you have Nero version 6xxx you can update to the latest version 6.6.0.16 for free from click here

You need to download at least Package 1 and Package 2 but be aware that they are both at least 35mb each.

rawprawn 17:11 04 Oct 2005

You actually need to Format not just Erase to reuse RW DVD or CD, in Nero using Incd.

Monco 18:15 05 Oct 2005

Thanks to pj123 & rawprawn, but I already updated on the Nero site. However, I have not installed INCD, as I did not think I would need it, as 1,2 & 3 seemed to cover all I needed. Do I need INCD to format & erase DVDs?

Sorry if I appear dense, but appreciate all your help.

Monoux 18:39 05 Oct 2005

You only need to use InCD if you want to use 'packet writing' that is to have the ability to drag & drop files from one place to another , in other words to be able to use a cd/dvd like a giant floppy disc.

Nero itself should enable you to erase a disc. Use from the applications 'nero burning rom' click cancel on the dialogue box then use menu recorder / erase re writable disc . I don't think you need to format the disc as whateever writes to it ( apaart from drag & drop ) will do this as it goes along

woodchip 18:45 05 Oct 2005

You do not need to format the CDRW if you only want to use NERO. InCD is so you can Format a CD or CDRW disc, then use it as a Big Floppy disc in Windows Explorer instead of the NERO program. You can then right drag files onto the Drive and click copy

Monco 17:43 06 Oct 2005

Thanks to all who replied, particularly to Monoux & Woodchip. I can now erase discs, and know what Incd is for. Gradually working round Nero.

Thanks again.

ade.h 20:39 06 Oct 2005

Windows XP does its own packet-writing (assuming you have the packet-writing update, which was released ages ago). It's based on Roxio EasyCD and is straightforward to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone