Re-start with crossover cable

acsmanhtml12 16:56 20 Mar 2006

I am restarting a crossover cable network between 2 Pc's. Please can you tell me how to set it up piece by piece so I'm not on here every other day!

mgmcc 19:34 20 Mar 2006

After connecting the two computers directly by crossover cable, the network adapters need to be given an IP address and there are basically two ways that this can be done:

1) Internet Connection Sharing.

If you are intending to share a broadband internet connection, you will enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual Internet connection (modem connection) in the "host" PC. When you do this, Windows will allocate the fixed IP address of 192.168.0.1 to the Local Area Connection. The "client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "host".

2) Manual Configuration.

If you are not setting up "Internet Connection Sharing", you need to allocate IP addresses manually to the two Local Area Connections using one of the ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, most commonly a 192.168.x.x subnet. Doing it this way, give the computers the addresses 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 with the *SAME* Subnet Mask address of 255.255.255.0

In each PC you need to set as "shared" in their Properties any folders that you want to have available over the network and, in any event, you should set at least one folder as "shared" in each PC.

Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers.

That basically is it!

Danoh 13:55 21 Mar 2006

Very clearly (& patiently) posted, mgmcc!
I've learnt much from your other postings on Subnet Mask addressing as well.

acsmanhtml12,
you can easily find all your previous postings by clicking on the “Your postings” towards the top left hand corner of the PC Advisor web page.

Here are 4 I found in this forum, which appears to be directly related.
What you have posted and others have made good, solid suggestions, all add critical information to explain what your situation is, the problem(s) and what you are trying to achieve.

Do read and come back with specific questions related to the detail within suggestions.
That is often the most productive way forward, if you check out the other threads with a Green Tick for "Resolved", in these forums.

Good luck.
========
Help Network collapse!!
click here

Games!
click here

File Sharine etc.
click here

Crossover Cable
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone