re register or not?

jack 15:03 02 Sep 2006

Having had a spectacular crash on Wednsday -The machine started a POST/Blue screen sorry restart loop- Safemode/Repair'Repair disk- nothing worked so I had to reinstall XP Pro from the disk.
Thats OK - I did not loose any data- some programs still run - though the major ones needed re installing.
But there renmain a couple of puzzlements.
Windows wants me to register-and gives me 30 day to do it but it is all ready registered on this machine,so if i click OK - will I then be a 'Pirate'? -
I have been deliving around the 'old' Windows folder to try to find E-mails in the Thunderbird folder - no sign- so where are they hidden, ditto the favourites file for FireFox and similar stuff?

woodchip 15:12 02 Sep 2006

Register and Activation are different things, What is it? I think it's Activation as it gives you 30 days. Yes go ahead or it will stop working. If you restored a Acronis Image it should not reactivating.

Ashrich 21:38 02 Sep 2006

The reactivation is tied into your hardware , if the configuration is pretty much the same ( no replacement parts ) then it will let you reactivate/register online otherwise it will advise you to do it via the freephone number to speak to someone , if that happens just explain what happened and they will give you a new code .

jack 22:13 02 Sep 2006

Thank you both - got the difference -
Activate I did -quite painless

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?