re question last week about windows98

blueboy2uk 13:55 06 Oct 2006

i have 2 hard drives in my computer last week i asked if i wanted to put windows 98 on the second hard drive is this possable it turns out that it is but not without going to the trouble of cleaning out my no1 drive putting windows98 on drive 2 bit longwinded, but i now have a copy of windows2000 is this easier to use i think someone said 2000 is almost the same as xp.

Diemmess 14:09 06 Oct 2006

Conventionally 98 insists on installing on Drive C: though you seem to have found a way around that.
The main point is that you installed 98 first.

I have used W2K for a couple of years now and it suits me fine.
Like XP it has far more drivers available for add-ons, knows all about USB and very capable of most plug and play procedures.
It can be quick to boot and is more stable than 98SE.
It lacks useful things like msconfig.exe but this can be added later easily.

My unscientific opinion is that forget ME, you have a worthwhile upgrade to many things and 2000 is much closer to XP than the once top of the tree 98.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:30 06 Oct 2006

i now have a copy of windows2000 is this easier to use i think someone said 2000 is almost the same as xp.

Install 2k to second hard drive as 2k recognises NTFS formatted drives there will not be a problem in writtng boot files to the main drive.

However XP may "cough" as you are trying to install an older system. The boot.ini file may need some editing click here

VoG II 14:32 06 Oct 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?