Re-loading Saved mp3s

hawthorn59 03:49 24 Nov 2006

Hi folks.

Before I changed my laptop I burned my music mp3s on to a CD. Now i want to load them back on. I notice they have .m4a extension.... What is that and will they load on and play as normal, and burn to cd if I need to do that? Im using iTunes.

One other question; if I buy from iTunes music store can the tracks be played in any mp3 player, and or burned to make a cd? I know that usen't to be the case but wonder has it changed.

Thanks

h

hawthorn59 03:26 25 Nov 2006

I tried to open one of the songs with Media Player and it wont play. Heres what i got:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

You see I was considering maybe using Media Player 11 but it looks now as if I will have to reload iTunes and use it. Weird how they're not compatible. So Im stuck with iTunes...

h

kurtisnet 03:54 25 Nov 2006

What about using a program called Xilisoft Audio Converter - it will accept almost any type of audio formats. It's not free however.

ICF 07:13 25 Nov 2006

Info on the m4a file extension
click here

A free converter click here

hawthorn59 04:08 26 Nov 2006

This is interesting. By the report it looks like m4a is a better format. But does Media Player not support it then..? And will it?

Also if i burn a cd with iTunes will it be in m4a format and will it play in a cd player or car stereo?

And will your portable mp3 players therefore not play it? What player will, is it only the ipod?

Thnx

h

ICF 07:24 26 Nov 2006

Window Media playes can't play M4a files as it stands

click here

Load this on your computer and you will be able to play M4a files in media player

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?