Re-installing XP - which disk?

jtt 12:35 16 Jan 2008

Someone I know needs Windows XP home re-installed. He has the XP home sticker on the PC with the product key, but doesn't have disk (he's never had one) - he has the OEM version installed. Can I use any XP home disk (retail or OEM) to install XP, and enter his product key, or will there be a problem if (for example) I use an XP retail rather than an XP OEM disk?

conrail 12:56 16 Jan 2008

I use a retail version of xp home to reinstall, just enter the product key from the sticker windows will verify it, unless, like my sons iqon which I have just formatted but it would not take the key from the sticker on the side so I had to use the recovery disc I made when I 1st bought the pc so if your friend made one of these just insert that and it should reinstall
hope that helps

jtt 12:24 17 Jan 2008

He doesn't have a recovery disk. I think it's best if I borrow an OEM disk rather than a retail disk.

birdface 14:03 17 Jan 2008

As long as it has Windows XP Home on it it should be Ok.Then just add the Product key number on the side of the computer.

xania 15:11 17 Jan 2008

If you don't have a restore DVD, there should be another way to restore to factory settings. Are you sure there's no restore option supporting a hidden partition on the PC. NB if you do find it, back it up to another media before the HHD dies on you.

jtt 12:15 18 Jan 2008

There isn't a restore partition. Even if there were on, I wouldn't use it since the PC came supplied with lots of what I call "junkware" trial programmes, etc, so I always prefer to do a clean install.

Snec 13:14 18 Jan 2008

There is no differemce between retail and OEM versions...... well, there is just one: the huge saving made by buying OEM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone