Re - installing XP Pro

lahorie 13:14 17 May 2006

Hi Guys

My xp pro is playing up big time....loads of missing files etc even when using system restore. I have my original copy of xp but loads of one off software ( Shareware etc) that i dont want to lose and office etc.

Can i re install xp over my existing version as an upgrade and will it affect anything? I alreday have sp2 installed will i have to uninstall this first.

Thanks

Lahorie

sunny staines 13:18 17 May 2006

back up everything, make sure you have all your drivers & ISP/email settings.

then re boot with the xp cd and reinstall xp.

recap 13:19 17 May 2006

You could lose some software when XP writes to the registry.

I would advise that you backup your system before going for a reinstall.

lahorie 13:22 17 May 2006

Thanks guys

Will i need to uninstall sp2 first or is it ok. Will this affect my office software...it goes without saying that i will perform a full backup..

Stuartli 13:24 17 May 2006

A far more simple solution is to Repair XP (see click here on how to do it to save me typing it out).

You just might have to reinstall SP2 again afterwards (check the General tab in System Properties first) unless you have a slipstreamed XP-SP2 disk, along with the SP3 updates issued since SP2 was released in August 2004 (i.e. critical updates etc).

Repairing XP means that your system's configuration, applications, programs and utilities are unaffected, although a backup is still a wise decision.

Stuartli 13:25 17 May 2006

I presume you have tried

sfc /scannow

first (note the space after sfc)?

lahorie 13:27 17 May 2006

Hi

Yes have tried repair and scannow.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?