Re-installing XP Pro

Diversion 16:40 21 Sep 2005

I have been trying to re-install XP Pro on my Centex PC, but it does not ask for the 25 digit XP product key. Everything installs okay and it asks for my user name on the setting up part at the end the installation, which I enter. But when the computer progresses passed the welcome screen instead of logging onto my name it automatically starts up as administrator. When I reboot the PC it auto logs onto Administrator. I can log off the administrator and log onto my own name but on reboot it starts as administrator again. I’ve been in touch with Centrex and they just sent me another updated version of XP but it still does the same thing. Can I switch this auto logging off or change it to log on in my name on start-up? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

reece1705 17:56 21 Sep 2005

how many user accounts did you set up?

mattyc_92 18:47 21 Sep 2005

Sounds like a registry error....

Why did you re-install Windows in the first place? Did you perform a "clean install"?

Diversion 21:41 21 Sep 2005

reece1705
I set up just the one account in my name.

mattyc_92
I re-installed because my pc kept getting into a state of not responding on quite a few programs and especially Adobe Photoshop CS2 which I use for repairing and doing other work on photographs. And yes I performed a full format and a clean installation. But I can't understand why it didn't ask me to enter the Product Key and why it didn't need activating after the installation was completed, because when I run Sisoft Sandra on the pc it stated that this version of Windows required activation.

reece1705 11:13 24 Sep 2005

is ur copy of windows an oem version?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?