Re-installing XP with a non bootable KP disc

Arkane 17:44 08 Dec 2006

Hopefully you guys can help me as everyone I ask looks at me blankly.

I have a less than satisfactory version of XP (its playing up) running on my computer at work that I want to replace. Someone has provided me with a multi-use licensed copy of XP so that I can re-install (this is XP pro with SP2). However it is not a bootable CD so can I just run the setup file from within my existing windows operating system and expect it to re-install a fresh version of XP? Both versions of XP appear to be the same (i.e. on the disc and on my computer) though they will be different license copies.

If I can't do this how do I go about installing windows from this non-bootable CD? Do I need to create (burn) a bootable CD by copying both the entirity of the XP disc + additional boot files onto a new CD? If so which additional files do I need and where might I find them?

I know this is asking alot but I don't want to do massive damage to my computer by just trying to run setup in my exisiting windows OS.

Thank you in advance for any light you may shed on this problem.

birdface 17:53 08 Dec 2006

You should be able use it. When asked, just type in the keycode that is on the side or back of your computer

Arkane 18:23 08 Dec 2006

This computer was made from various different components, so where would I find the keycode on my computer?

VoG II 18:24 08 Dec 2006
  VoG II 18:25 08 Dec 2006

Also click here

Arkane 18:27 08 Dec 2006

Also i assume that from the reponses people are giving that I can't just run the XP setup file within my existing copy of windows?

Arkane 18:28 08 Dec 2006

Thank you VoG™ for your help, unfortunately I don't have a disc drive though.

VoG II 18:29 08 Dec 2006

No. Boot with the first of the floppy disks click here and follow the prompts to load the other floppies followed by the CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?