Re-installing XP on a new PC

jaimie 18:44 26 Jun 2006

A couple of weeks ago I asked the question about re-installing XP on a new comp. The scenario is this: I build first M/C about three years ago with OEM copy of XP from my supplier (CCL). All goes well until the Mobo failed a couple of weeks ago, beyond economic repair. I purchase a bare bones system which comes with everything exept the hardrive, I install the old HDD into the new system and of course windows isn't having any of that. Repair consol failed to work so I formatted the drive and re-installed my licenced copy of XP. I activated the copy and registered it with MS and all works fine except it won't use windows update, it tells me there is a problem. I call MS to explain and am told rudly that if I'd read the licence agreement I would know that with OEM copies, windows XP dies with the motherboard and I have to purchase a new copy of XP to get the updates! rip off or what? I can't see why this should be, I bought it, I activated it, I should be able to use it. I can use it as it is but without SP2. What do others think about this?

Jaimie

xania 19:31 26 Jun 2006

Sorry, but that's quite correct. OEM is tied to the motherboard - I'm surprised that it even allowed you to activate it.

citadel 19:36 26 Jun 2006

I thought everyone knew this, that is why it costs so much less than the retail box.

baldtaco 21:54 26 Jun 2006

“I have to purchase a new copy of XP to get the updates! rip off or what?”

Nah, nah, nah amigo. Nuts to that, and to that vile bit of slimeware WGA. [Windows Genuine Advantage – “Genuine Advantage is Microsoft spyware” - click here or the 17 page zdnet exposure exposure of the filth - click here )

SP2 is pretty much ubiquitous. That shouldn’t present too much of a problem and surely doesn’t require M$ in the mix.

After that you have a few options open to you, but I would recommend raptor’s excellent AutoPatcher fighting out of neowin - click here

Essentially, you ‘must’ use a full update, and then top up with subsequent updates. A good example would be from this mirror - click here .

1] First bag the April full. Installing that on the first loop is really an unzipping to a folder thing that gives you desktop shortcuts and whatnot. Then you really run it. It scans your machine in the way you would expect the conventional update route to do [this is why the download was so large]. I will offer you choices for all the critical updates since SP2 + the recommended + plus all the power toys.

2] Leaving the April full where it is get the May update. Install this on top of April. The rest will be familiar.

3] Rinse and repeat for June and the impending.

Note: The WGA filth is in the June update, and is set to off by default.

Hope this helps.

DieSse 22:26 26 Jun 2006

Read this click here

I beleive that you can do this under the terms of the EULA - and they are being over-officious. It seems from several places that a replacement of a mother board UNDER WARRANTY is allowable under the EULA - and you should contact them again and tell them that what you have done is replaced a board under warranty, under the allowed terms of the EULA and that you can provide proof of the warranty replacement if they wish to see it.

DieSse 22:29 26 Jun 2006

PS - if however it is an UPGRADED motherboard, then it is clear that you can't transfer the copt of XP.

Sorry but I misread your time period first time through.

jaimie 18:06 28 Jun 2006

Thanks to all who replied, you have given me a lot to think about, I am studying baldtaco's information and will go down that route.

Thanks again everyone and mayby I should look at Linux!

Jaimie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?