Re installing xp home ed

rickilambert 09:12 08 Aug 2008

hey peeps im trying to reinstall xp on mums pc after a botched effort of vista business edition by her partner

n e ways she doesnt have the cd, although the key is on the label on the top of the machine

what i have done is downloaded the home edition OEM dell cp cd off of the net and plan on using the cd key thats on her pc for the install - i hope that isnt illegal?!

anyways the downloaded version i have when i unpack the rars gives me

1 nfo file (descriptive piece by the creator)
46 rar files

how do i burn this to a cd? i need to make an image dont i wich i can do with power iso, but surely the image needs to contain an exe at least? or do i make an image of all the rars? or alternative to that! do i unpack all of the 46 rars aswell?

cheers peeps

BurrWalnut 09:39 08 Aug 2008

I don’t know about your downloaded Dell CD but an OEM CD is about 570 MB in size and contains 5 folders and 7-9 files depending upon the service pack.

I can't imagine a Dell CD being so vastly different, i.e. an i386 folder must be present.

rickilambert 10:04 08 Aug 2008

yes it is exactly 570mb in size! that was a good guess ;) as for the file system it just has a shed load of rars, i spose i could try extracting he contents of all of the rars?

Ditch999 11:47 08 Aug 2008

It would be easier if you knew someone with the same XP version, eg XP Home SP2, and had a disc you could borrow.

But yes, you would need to extract all the compressed folders (46) then burn them on to a CD.

Read the nfo file (use notepad)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?