Re-installing Windows ME

wams 13:14 29 Oct 2006

Ive started re-installing windows ME but halfway thru the process it fails saying:

device error code: 7696
dos error code: 11
read fault
(R)etry (F)ail

does anyone know what this means and how can i resolve it?

Giggle n' Bits 13:26 29 Oct 2006

not relating to the above but Microsoft have ended support for Windows ME and the Windows updates are no longer available for download in bulk using windows updates.

The problem above you mention sound like a disk read problem, you probably also have a Packard Bell ? is the CD clean and not heavy in scrathes or are you installing using the pre-install option.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:34 29 Oct 2006

device error code: 7696 usually occurs with nvida drivers

Dos error code 11 is invalid format

read fault is probably not reading the CD correctly

Polish the CD use a cleaner in the CD drive and refomat the drive and try again.

wams 13:34 29 Oct 2006

Yes i am using packard bell and my 3.5" recovery disc and 3 Cd's are in excellent condition i keep them stored in dry conditions free from dust and damage

wams 13:41 29 Oct 2006

If windows have stopped ME updates, im wondering why i bothered re-installing ME and just continued with XP excepting its crashes and freezes along the way. So if i have a problem with the nvidia drivers/s how will that effect the performance of my PC and what my next step

wams 13:50 29 Oct 2006

As i explained in my previous thread, halfway thru the setup after the error codes came onto screen for the second time, the drive read CD1 and half of cd2, i pressed ctrl alt & del it restarted computer and has started installing ME

But ive still got another CD and a half for the drive to read.

How will that effect my computer's performance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?