Re-installing Norton Internet Security on XP

stumpy69 21:37 16 Jun 2004

My daughter had a msg saying a malicious prog was trying to change her security settings and to uninstall & reinstall NIS. When it starts to install she gets an "error msg172, prob with Win install package,a prog run as part of setup did not finish as expected"and install stops at"symantec network drivers" press ok & msg says prog has not been installed. As she's surfing on a shoestring I wonder if anyone can help us please so it don't cost her a fortune getting someone in to sort it out.Cheers.

PSF 21:53 16 Jun 2004

you will need to remove all the Symantec files.
Un-install the program from the control panel, run the removal tool from click here (not sure what system you have) search the c: drive for all symantec files and delete them.

Re-boot, and then when you re-install run the virus scan when prompted, and then install and update.

You can do an on-line check from symantec click here

PSF 21:57 16 Jun 2004

click here For the XP removal

THE TERMINATOR 00:28 17 Jun 2004

Is your daughter trying to re-install NIS2003? I had this prob trying to re-install Norton Firrewall2003 and the only way round it was to upgrade to 2004 version....TT

stumpy69 21:54 17 Jun 2004

Finally sorted. prob was a damaged file 'wintrust.dll' once that was reinstalled the nis 2004 went on with no problems.Thanks to your help I found the right places to look for a remedie. Once again thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?