Re-installing favouits.

charlton200 18:19 15 May 2010

Hi,
I have backed up my document etc on an external hard drive.
I have been to import favourits on my computer but the computer doesn't seem to want transfer them back.
Is there a way to get the favourite back from my external hard drive to my favourits list on my decktop?

Thanks very much.

charlton200 18:29 15 May 2010

I am on windows xp and IE8.

fantablum 12:31 18 Sep 2010

I have exactly the same problem in WIN7 my computer informs me that favourits have been imported but I cannot find them

fantablum 12:32 18 Sep 2010

I have exactly the same problem in WIN7 my computer informs me that favourits have been imported but I cannot find them

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:20 18 Sep 2010

To export the Favorites folder,

1. In Internet Explorer, click Favorites, click the down-arrow next to Add to Favorites, and then click Import and Export.
2. Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
3. Click to select the Favorites check box, and then click Next.
4. Select the Favorites folder that you want to export. If you want to export all Favorites, select the top level Favorites folder. Otherwise, select the individual folder that you want to export.
5. Click Next.

Note By default, Internet Explorer creates a Bookmark.htm file in your Documents folder. If you want to use a name other than Bookmark.htm, or if you want to store the exported Favorites in a folder other than the Documents folder, specify the new file and folder name.
6. Click Next.

Note If you already have a file that has the same name, Internet Explorer asks you to replace it. Click Yes to replace the file. Click No to provide a new file name.
7. Click Export.
8. Click Finish.

Import Favorites to Internet Explorer 8

1. In Internet Explorer, click Favorites, click the down-arrow next to Add to Favorites, and then click Import and Export.
2. Click Import from a file, and then click Next.
3. Click to select the Favorites check box, and then click Next.
4. By default, Internet Explorer creates a Bookmark.htm file in your Documents folder. However, you can import favorites that are saved under another name. To do this, click Browse, select a file or type a location and file name, and then click Next.
5. Select the folder where you want to put the imported bookmarks, and then click Import.
6. Click Finish.

C3 19:14 18 Sep 2010

Another way of backing up IE favourites is to copy the Favourites folder.

This is found (in XP) :

c drive/documents and settings/[username]/favourites

Copy the folder to your external device. When you've carried out your reinstall, just copy over the Favourites folder to the same location. I've never had any issues with the links not working after doing this.

You can use the same process moving favourites from one Windows operating system to another.

In Vista/Win 7, the easiest way to get to the stored IE favourites folder is to click on the Start button, click on the username and the Favourites folder is found there.

jimmer409® 05:58 19 Sep 2010

Hello all, anyone using the new ie9 beta yet, I've tryed it, but there a few things I don't like. The most unliked feature is the missing menu bar. I always liked the way you could drop down all your favorites from it as apposed to the annoying side bar dropdown. I may be missing something, but I'm sure it's not available in ie9, if I'm wrong, would someone please enlighten me. Thanks
ps Feel PCA should add ie9 beta as a special to forums.

jimmer409® 06:05 19 Sep 2010

sorry charlton posted the above in wrong place, regards jimmer409

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache