Re-installing dll files from my xp disk!

boysie 12:02 05 Feb 2006

Seem to have a problem with running sfc /scannow! I keep getting the message install the disk with Windows xp professional including service pack 2! yet its the disk I installed my operating system on! I've cleaned it and replaced it but same message. any clues please?

Many Thanks

howard63 12:29 05 Feb 2006

once sp2 is installed your original xp disk is often not accepted. You have 2 choices boot from the cd and tell xp to repair or reinstall. Use add remove progs in control panel to uninstall sp2 and then your xp disk is ok again. On completion reinstall sp2. BTW if you have the sp2 disk that came with pcadvisor running the sp2 upgrade again may cure your problems.

JWJH 13:03 05 Feb 2006

click here for some fixes

gudgulf 13:14 05 Feb 2006

Does your original disc include SP2?

If it does then the easiest way to stop Windows asking for the disc is to simply copy the I386 folder from the XP disc into the C:\ root directory.If it doesn't then you need to make sure the service pack install files (C:\Windows\Service Pack Files|i386) are on your computers system drive as well.

Bear in mind its a big folder ~500Mb so make sure you have plenty of disc space before you do.

Once you've done that you need to poinf SFC to look for the I386 folder on the "C" drive which needs a registry mod.

Full instructions on how to do this and the use of SFC at click here

gudgulf 13:16 05 Feb 2006

.......as already linked to by JWJH :((

boysie 18:07 05 Feb 2006

Copying the I386 folder from my disk to my c: driver and changing regedit done the trick!!

Many thanks..you've got me out of trouble again!

terryf 18:40 05 Feb 2006

Now that it is working do a web search for slipstreaming. This process allows you to make a new CD using the original MS one and adding SP2 to it so that you won't have the prob in future, The way that I did it needs Nero. I copied the details to a word doc but don't have details of the website but look for Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) --Paul Thurrott August 9, 2004 Updated August 18, 2004; August 24, 2004; August 26, 2004. It worked for me

terryf 19:00 05 Feb 2006

The link to the site is click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires