re-installing CD ROM

brianr 17:25 29 Apr 2007

All of a sudden my CD drive seems to have been unistalled.

I have tried reinstalling this as suggested by the MS troubleshoooting guide, but I keep getting the messsage ' The device cannot stat=rt (Code 10)'.

The cd is internal and came with my Dell PC - which runs XP. The CD ROM is a samsuo! cerw/eve sm-352G.

Anyone out there with any ideas on what I should do next ?

FungusBoggieman 17:28 29 Apr 2007

have you tryed removing you cdrom from device manager then rebootig let windows find it and it will instal the drivers for it

FungusBoggieman 17:29 29 Apr 2007

oh also check ribbon cables in pc are connected tight they sometimes can come loose if you have nocked or moved tower

SANTOS7 17:30 29 Apr 2007

The most common issue with a code 10 error is drivers, as your hardware is an optical device which normally only needs the generic drivers supplied by your Operating system, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the device, update the firmware for it or as they are silly cheap buy a new one,good luck..

rodriguez 14:08 30 Apr 2007

Does it say samsuo! instead of Samsung? If it does, this would point to either a loose cable or a corrupted firmware that's stopping the drive from working properly and scrambling up it's manufacturer and/or model number that it sends to the computer to identify itself. If it's a corrupted firmware it's easier to throw it away and change it for a DVD drive.

rodriguez 14:10 30 Apr 2007

Also if the drive says samsuo! instead of Samsung when you first boot the computer when it detects the drives, it shows it's not a Windows problem.

brianr 21:12 30 Apr 2007

thanks a lot guys for your tips. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling etc but no joy. I've checked the hardware on device manager and it is called 'samsuog!' - I guess that the best thing to do is to buy a new drive and insatall it.

rodriguez 00:08 01 May 2007

If you're getting a new drive, I'd recommend an LG - I've got 2 of those in my machine and one's about 4 years old and the other's about 2 and a half and they've not failed once. I had a couple of Samsung's in the past and wasn't overly impressed with the drive performance, they had read and write errors etc. Also don't go for NEC drives - they're just Samsung under another name (NEC are part of Packard Bell I think as well) - you can tell they're the same because the front of the drives and the parts inside are identical. I also found that the Yamaha drive in the Dreamcast used some of the same components as a Samsung CD-ROM drive I had and that the drive in newer Dreamcasts was made by Samsung so watch out for Yamaha as well - OK that was a bit long winded but you get the idea of drives to avoid. :-)

skidzy 06:45 01 May 2007

This will do you no harm and suggest you try it before splashing the cash.

Do follow the instructions to the letter !

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 10 , 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn. click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts

birdface 08:16 02 May 2007

This from another thread. click here

Koochy 17:19 11 May 2007

I had a freecom external CD/DVD burner that showed exactly the same symptoms as the one in question and after trying all available options i sent it back to freecom who replaced the drive free of charge as they said it was a hardware fault that could not be fixed.

Koochy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?