Re-install Xp with new motherboard

lezperez 23:57 24 Jul 2007

Hi this is my first post. I have a freeline mt2000 with xp home which recently died(new hdd and mobo needed). However the pc only came with a recovery partition. I created a set of recovery cd's, but when i try to boot from them with my new hdd and mobo i get error system not supported. Someone has suggested to me that it wont run coz of the new mobo? Or that the hdd is SATA where the original was IDE? If anyone knows how to install it I would be very grateful.

mad1234 11:00 25 Jul 2007

i believe that your recovery cd's are looking for the partitions that are on your old hard drive but if they are slightly different then the recovery won't work.
i have 3 partitions on my laptop(god only knows why) & i can't get rid of them because the recovery disks recognise the partition sizes.

FreeCell 11:27 25 Jul 2007

mad1234 is correct. There is a recovery partition on an MT2000 hard drive of 3.95 GB formatted as FAT32. ( I have one so have just checked) If you haven't cloned this then you may have problems using the recovery CDs. I have cloned the hard drive on this system and system booted fine.

Windows XP may also require to be reactivated with a new mb. Others may be able to advise you on this as I haven't done it but I believe it's usually just a matter of contacting MS and explaining what you have done to recover from hardware failure

lezperez 18:12 25 Jul 2007

My old hard drive is trashed so i cannot recreate the partition. Guy in pcworld reckons the recovery disc wont recognise the SATA drive and that i need a new ide drive. Use the recovery on the ide drive, then make a ghost copy of this and put on new SATA drive. But there must be some way of getting the recovery cds to run on to a SATA drive? Otherwise Philips are telling you that you must have an IDE drive as your OS drive otherwise the recovery disc will never work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?