re install vista

gav223 16:04 28 Oct 2008

Hi, I would like to wipe my laptop completly and re-install vista, but I cannot do it as I don't have the disk. Is there a way that I can do this without the recovery disk.
Thanks.

crosstrainer 16:13 28 Oct 2008

Not unless your PC came with a pre-installed recovery partiton.

ventanas 16:24 28 Oct 2008

What make of PC, there must be some way to do it?
But if it was by way of a recovery disk that you have lost, then you have two options, find it, or buy another one.

gav223 17:30 28 Oct 2008

It is an acer aspire 5920. I had to do it some time before and all I did was press f8 and then go into full system restore, but for some reason it will not let me do it this time.

crosstrainer 05:27 29 Oct 2008

Acer's come with a pre-installed recovery partiton. If you have deleted or changed this (you need to enable D2 D recovery in the BIOS) then you will need to purchase a recovery CD from Acer.

mooly 08:37 29 Oct 2008

I've an Acer, XP on it originally. Can you not access recovery from the "Acer empowering" applications. Restore to factory defaults.

gav223 09:07 29 Oct 2008

Hi mooly.
I did do what you suggest before, but now it will not let me do it. It will not let me log in as the administrator, although my account is the same as the administrators account. How can I find out what the password for the admins account is.
Thanks.

interzone55 09:12 29 Oct 2008

Have you tried speaking to Acer, see if they can help...

0870 853 1000

mooly 11:30 29 Oct 2008

Hi,
Do you mean the Acer Empowering programs are asking for a password or just Vista asking for an administrator account.
I installed Vista 18 months ago on my Acer9300 ( free upgrade offer) so I don't have the same empowering utilities that you have.
I am just going off memory from the couple of months I had XP on it and the empowering programs.
Again going back to XP, the first thing it prompts "out of the box" is to burn a set of recovery discs, but these just mirror the recovery partition.
Maybe emailing Acer would be worthwhile.
Not that I'm any expert but is there a specific problem you have with the current installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?