Re install over a re-install

curtis62 13:22 26 Oct 2008

One computer crashed. It had windows XP home edition. Did not have backup disk at time. Used my original windows XP home edition to get it to work. When inserted it stated that the home edition on the system was newer then mine. Now have backup disk. Can I now use these backup disk to bring the system back to where it shuld be?

Ex plorer 15:43 26 Oct 2008

The PC that has XP on and crashed needs the original XP disk for a repair as you will have to type in the original code.

Can you explain how your PC has crashed.

ronalddonald 18:36 26 Oct 2008

If you did a reinstall a fresh one without repair then all the work saved on the crashed comp is gone wiped over. unless you use recova to recover the work even then you will have to load onto a different drive to recover those files.

Recuva can be found here click here

DieSse 19:36 26 Oct 2008

"Now have backup disk"

Please explain what that is, if it's not an XP CD.

You can update XP to where it should be via Windows Update, on-line.

DieSse 19:38 26 Oct 2008

Ex plorer

XP CDs (at least with a particular type, language and service pack version) are all the same. So you can use almost any actual CD with any product key.

DieSse 19:41 26 Oct 2008

"When inserted it stated that the home edition on the system was newer then mine."

For everyone that has installed SP3, this would now happen.

If you had an XP CD you can generate an updated (to include SP3) version yourself, using Autostreamer.

Everyone who has an XP CD and has installed SP3 should really do this, in case of emergencies.

DieSse 19:42 26 Oct 2008

MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR WORKING SYSTEM RIGHT NOW - AND KEEP UPDATING IT.

DieSse 19:43 26 Oct 2008

No apologies for shouting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?