To re-install or not

jhm 17:56 11 Oct 2006

I have read a lot of forum chat about the pro's and con's of re-installing XP to cure faults and refreshing.
What I don't understand, and hopefully someone can point me to a 'tutorial' of some description, is whether you can re-install the OS files without losing all your data. To replace a corrupt file perhaps.
Also what is the repair console because it to contains DOS utilities but no instruction in how to use them

Stuartli 18:02 11 Oct 2006

If you haven't used sfc /scannow try that first (Start>Run>key in sfc /scannow (note the space) and OK (may need your XP disk handy).

Otherwise, if you wish to retain your data, programs, applications etc you can Repair your XP installation. See:

click here

for an explanation and to save having to type it all out.

Stuartli 18:04 11 Oct 2006

sfc /scannow checks Windows Files Protection for corrupt files etc and replaces them.

Quiet Life 14:18 12 Oct 2006

Having had an extremely slow PC which I spent days trying to repair I went for a clean re-install.
For thr first time I used the wizard in XP for saving all the files and settings and it made it pretty painless. Only the programs to reinstall afterwards.
I had a separaate partition so it was just a question of directing the wizard to a file on that partition and then redirecting the files back to C drive after the fresh XP installation.
Favourites ,e-mails,address book,my Docs. and all settings were as before.
The wizard is at Programs>Accessories>System Toolbox> Wizard for transfer of definitions and files. (Actual names may be slightly different as I am on a Portuguese Windows at present)

jhm 18:13 13 Oct 2006

Thanks to all - will take a look and learn

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?