Re-Install - NTLDR Missing - Wont Boot from CD

RickH0684 13:36 27 May 2009

Hi there,

Trying to reinstall Windows on to a new drive installed today, the drive has been picked up and can see it when computer goes through booting up however.......

I get the following

"Verifying DMI Pool Data............
Boot from CD:
Press any key to boot from CD.......
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

so if anyone can tell me why it wont let me boot from the CD when i press a key would be much appreciated, although i think it could be something to do with the wireless keyboard so i will get a wired one, however the keyboard responds initially to get into the BIOS setup,

Additionally what is NTLDR and do I need it to get the installation going??

Huge thanks for all your help in advance, it is much appreciated, get Dad off me back as well the sooner it gets done!

Regards,

Rick0684

Zeppelyn 13:54 27 May 2009

NTLDR is the file the starts the Windows loading process after BIOS checks are complete.

Double check your BIOS settings although it seems to be trying to boot from CD, check boot order is set to boot from CD first. Also under USb check the USB legacy is enabled.

PO79 13:55 27 May 2009

Have you changed the boot sequence to CD first in your BIOS, and pressed F10 to save the option. Your PC is still trying to boot from the HD, which of course has no OS installed, hence the NTLDR missing error message.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?