Re-Install from HD

Bazil B Rush 22:43 19 Sep 2006

I have a Packard Bell Easy Note running XP home SP2.

I uninstalled Norton 2006 and did a re-boot. HOWEVER I am now getting a message:

Win could not start because the following is corrupt or missing.
\windows\system32\config\system

attempt to repair by using setup CD. Select "r" at first screen.

I purchased the Laptop from PCWorld and didn't get a startup CD. They told me it was pre-installed onto the hard-drive.

I am stuck as all I can do now is get the same screen as above each time I press "r"

Bazil

skidzy 22:52 19 Sep 2006

If you are trying to restore your system to factory settings because you do not have a recovery disc try tapping F11 on startup and follow the prompts.This will give you the option of a system recovery from a partion on your harddrive or a repair.

Alternatively you may like to try the system file checker sfc /scannow (note the space).

click here

Dell Latitude 22:55 19 Sep 2006

When the laptop turs on and shows the bios post screen press 1 of the f keys and it will take you to the system recovery program. I don the same for my friend who has a packardbell desktop. I think its f8 or f11 or f12.

Bazil B Rush 23:03 19 Sep 2006

Seems as though I have pressed every key but F11. Seems to be working. Wonder why there is nothing in the paperwork that came with it to tell you how to do this.
Thanks and hope this is end of this query

Bazil Brush

bellababy 23:07 19 Sep 2006

Noted FF Ref:

Strawballs 23:09 19 Sep 2006

You want to see if there is a way to burn that recovery partition to disc because a friend of mine got a virus that stopped any way of accessing that recovery program and he had not burnt to disc which was possible on his machine.

Dell Latitude 23:10 19 Sep 2006

i aggree with Strawballs the same thing happend to my brothers old machine.

Dell Latitude 23:10 19 Sep 2006

i aggree with Strawballs the same thing happend to my brothers old machine.

woodchip 23:13 19 Sep 2006

Acronis may see the Partition even if hidden

Bazil B Rush 23:14 19 Sep 2006

I did look fo this when I got the laptop Strawballs. There is nearly 2 gig missing off the hard drive. but being an old fogey, sorry silver surfer just learning. Using the Godsons Mac to do these queries and it seems much easier to use than my windows system.
If anyone knows how to get this partition info off, my Godson says he will have a go for me.
Thanks

Bazil B Rush

bellababy 01:36 20 Sep 2006

Automated System Recovery overviewYou should create Automated System Recovery (ASR) sets on a regular basis as part of an overall plan for system recovery in case of system failure. ASR should be a last resort for system recovery, used only after you have exhausted other options, such as Safe Mode Boot and Last Known Good. For more information about other recovery options, see Repair overview.

ASR is a two-part system of recovery: ASR backup and ASR restore. The backup portion is accomplished through the ASR Wizard located in Backup. The wizard backs up the system state, system services, and all disks associated with the operating system components. It also creates a file containing information about the backup, the disk configurations (including basic and dynamic volumes) and how to accomplish a restore.

You can access the restore portion by pressing F2 when prompted in the text-mode portion of setup. ASR will read the disk configurations from the file that it creates and restore all of the disk signatures, volumes and partitions on, at a minimum, the disks required to start the computer. (It will attempt to restore all of the disk configurations, but under some circumstances, it might not be able to.) ASR then installs a simple installation of Windows and automatically starts a restoration using the backup created by the ASR wizard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?