Re insdtalling XP from OEM disk

jack 08:43 08 Sep 2010

Aftermuch picking and poking-[SFC and Repair etc.,] it would seem the only way out with a computer I am looking into is to reformat and reinstall from the original disk.
When I tried this I goot the usual message indicating the current installation is newer than the OEM disk- thats normal
I wonder however if all the Updates are still available on line so that the machine will 'Rebuild' with no further ado - or have to source files independently now?

Strawballs 08:56 08 Sep 2010

Yes still all there just need to download SP3 have done it recently for next door worked fine.

gazzaho 09:28 08 Sep 2010

You may be interested in creating a slipstream disk for XP, this allows you to incorporate SP3 and XP into a single disk for installation negating the need to spend time with a lot of updates.

I never tried it myself, I've moved on to Vista and now Windows 7. It might be worth trying in your case though, here's a link explaining it (click here)

woodchip 09:45 08 Sep 2010

jack have you tried running a repair using the said oem? To run it Start with CD choose Setup it will look for a Operating System and Show what it finds, click on the one it finds then press R it should the Repair the OS. you will need to download all updates after but work and files should still be on the drive

Poitier 15:09 08 Sep 2010

Jack,
That message suggests that you are not clicking the correct links.
Insert disk.
To set up WINDOWS xp now ,press ENTER
Accept agreement
To continue installing a fresh cpy of Windows XP without repairing,press ESC

woodchip 15:46 08 Sep 2010

Problem with that is there will then be two copies of windows on the drive

Poitier 19:25 08 Sep 2010

Woodchip,
If you try to do a repair using the Mesh OEM recovery disk you get the message that he is getting.I expect that he has SP3 installed and it is not on the recovery disk.

DieSse 19:27 08 Sep 2010

"I wonder however if all the Updates are still available on line"

Yes they are - and you can update automatically as normal - or you can do them manually via Windows Update.

A slipstreamed XP CD with all the SPs installed id dead easy to make with Autostreamer.

click here

and the SP files

click here

click here

woodchip 19:28 08 Sep 2010

He cannot use a Recovery CD to Repair, It would Just restore as to Factory Setup when the PC was new

woodchip 19:29 08 Sep 2010

If its a OEM disc of XP he can repair it using that. He does say its a OEM

Strawballs 19:53 08 Sep 2010

I'd go with woody on this one do a repair installation it will give back full working windows but not affect your data.

The only problem with that is if you have nasties in your data it will not get rid of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?