Re-formatting my old Computer C Drive

valbv 20:48 09 Mar 2009

I have an old Toshiba Tecra 8100, 256Mb memory, 11.2GB C Drive, running Windows 2000 Professional (yes, that old, but not as old as an MSX in the attic!). It is running slower than I can type and the program is not needed and I cannot find the program disk anyway.
If I go Start, My Computer, Drive C, right click, Format, will this clean the drive completely?
I am thinking to install Ubuntu 8.10 for the grandchildren (ages 10 to 3) but I am wondering if Ubuntu would run their games (Reader Rabbit Jump Ahead, Winnie the Pooh, Disney and the like) which all are written for Windows programs.
Any comments would be appreciated.

DieSse 22:52 09 Mar 2009

"If I go Start, My Computer, Drive C, right click, Format, will this clean the drive completely?"

No - that would wipe out the OS that the computer is in the middle of using - so it can't be done.

If you install Ubuntu it would reformat the system with a different file system anyway, so you don't need to reformat first.

Linux may be able to run the games using Wine, which sets up a pseudo-windows facility to run windows programs. No guarantee that it will work with those particular programs.

Or you could install a virtual machine under Linux, and run a windows version in it - if disk space permitted.

In 256MB RAM it may be better to look at Xubuntu or even Edubuntu, which are lighter on resources. I recently built an old system for a friends youngster with Edubuntu, and it's been a great hit.

valbv 00:01 10 Mar 2009

To DieSse
Many thanks for your response. I understand your comments. My main concern is that the current registry may contain the cause of the poor performance of the laptop. Would loading Ubuntu or the revised versions you mention provide me with a new registry? or just modify the existing one. I am slowly deleting all programs other than the OS at present in the hope that this will help.
Regards

Quiller. 00:09 10 Mar 2009

"Would loading Ubuntu or the revised versions you mention provide me with a new registry?"

Yes.

DieSse 00:33 10 Mar 2009

"Would loading Ubuntu or the revised versions you mention provide me with a new registry? or just modify the existing one."

Absolutely every single thing on the hard drive currently will be replaced by the new linux install - including all your data by the way - so make sure to save that first!

DieSse 00:39 10 Mar 2009

Ref your current poor performance - it's unlikely that simply unloading programs will speed up your current system.

Try downloading and running the free Wise Disk cleaner (to remove left-over unneeded files) and the free Wise Registry Cleaner (to remove unneeded stuff from the registry. Then doing a defrag (in the windows system tools).

Wise Cleaners click here

Also the anti-virus program you use can make a big drain on performance - with little RAM you need an efficient one, such as NOD32.

valbv 23:51 10 Mar 2009

Many thanks to DieSse for your information. I have used both Wise programs to good effect. Also have changed my antivirus from PC Tools to AVG for the time being and this has certainly improved the running of Windows 2000 Pro. My next move is to run UBUNTU as a live disk and then decide if the XUBUNTU or EDUBUNTU would suffice. My grandchildren do use the internet for free games as well. Would any of the UBUNTU programs be happy with this?

Also my thanks to Dave_1 for your help.
Regards

DieSse 01:00 11 Mar 2009

"Also have changed my antivirus from PC Tools to AVG for the time being"

IMO AVG does not provide the best protection - you can verify that by looking on their website at what protection it does and doesn't give - Rootkits are a glaring omission.

Avast has much better protection, which is why I recommend that as a free one.

"My next move is to run UBUNTU as a live disk..."

Yes - that's a good way to go to try it out. I would start with Edubuntu though if it's principally for the grandchildren

Linux behaves on the web pretty much like windows does. Firefox is the most used browser, and is very similar to the Firefox experience in windows. Most "on-the-web" software will run fine (I only say most rather than all, because there's bound to be an odd issue here and there for some esoteric reason). Your experiment with a LiveCD will prove things easily.

valbv 10:53 11 Mar 2009

Many thanks again DieSse. I think I have sufficient info now to go ahead, and will tick the 'resolved' box. If anyone wishes to add further comments I will check this subject for another week.
Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?