Re-formatting hard disk

TimCDC 07:30 31 May 2007

My 4 year old desktop has been running slower and slower for many months now. I've tried everything I can think of, from scanning for malware, editing the runnning programs, deleting unwanted programmes. Nothing has a positive effect.

I'm now thinking about reformatting the hard disk, to get it back to how it was when I first got it, when all was fast and sweet. I will of course back up all my needed documents, and check I have installation disks for programmes I want, as well as for Windows and service packs.

Is there anything else I ought to be doing prior to re-formatting? And is this likely to achieve what I want? And finally, can someone please remind me how to get to the interface where I can reformat (I've done it before, years ago, but can't remember: is it an option when I tap f8 on boot up?)

Many thanks in anticipation (and desperation!)

LinH 08:41 31 May 2007

TimCDC

You may just as well start over and reformat the disk. The fact that you are editing and/or uninstalling programs and trying everything else is probably adding to the problem.

As far as the format is concerned you don't say what o.s. you are using, but assuming it's XP I think just inserting the disk will bring up options, one of which is to clean install the o.s.

Hope this helps.

LinH

skidzy 08:53 31 May 2007

Most systems have a recovery/restore partition,tapping F11 (maybe a different key) on startup should enter the recovery/restore process giving you 3 options.

Try this and post back if still no joy.

Please post make and model of pc if you cannot access the recovery/restore partition.

TimCDC 17:49 01 Jun 2007

Well, I reformatted it and reinstalled everything from scratch and it works wonderfully quickly, I'm really pleased. Admittedly I haven't (and probably won't) reinstalled all the programmes but I notice that I have 8 fewer running processes now.

Can anyone tell me, though, what the "commit charge" is? Mine seems to be running at roughly 201K out of 630K pretty much all the time - is this standard?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017