Re-formatting C drive

Dirty Dick 09:06 01 Dec 2003

I have decided to re-format my C drive. I am running Windows 98 SE. I have backed up copies of all my files and looked in Help as to what to do. It then said just follow the instructions on screen. I opened my PC in Command Prompt Only and typed in "format c:" when requested. No more help has appeared except for a prompt "A:\>" . I don't know what to do. Can ant one help.
Thanks

Try this. At the A: prompt, type C:. It should rhen change to C:, type format C:

Then hit Enter.

spikeychris 09:11 01 Dec 2003

Easiest way is to boot from floppy disk. You Will need to create one from control panel, Double-click Add/Remove Programs, click the Startup Disk tab, and click the Create Disk button.

As said boot from it and at the a:/ prompt type format c

Follow the on screen info.....

Dirty Dick 09:18 01 Dec 2003

Ive tried typing format c after the A prompt but I get the response "Parameter format not correct - c"
Also tried changing A promp to C prompt and get the same.
Got Start up disc but it comes up with prompt "A:\>" and can;t seem to get any further

spikeychris 09:24 01 Dec 2003

Have you booted from the disk? as in turn off machine and turn back on with disk in drive?

Dirty Dick 09:28 01 Dec 2003

I have turned the PC off and on and then re-booted with Start up floppy in drive

How are you getting to the Command Prompt Only screen? In Safe Mode?

Dirty Dick 09:33 01 Dec 2003

The command prompt just appears, it seems to go through some process of checking things then the final thing is the prompt. I did start it up in Safe Mode to format the drive.

spikeychris 09:42 01 Dec 2003

Is Windows sat on C?

Go Start, Shut Down, Restart in MS-DOS mode. Try the command in that screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?