Re enable DVD Drive

SteveBut 15:42 20 May 2006

Help!
My DVD drive was playing up and not allowing me to burn on dvd+rw's. In an attempt to get it to work I disabled it in device manager & then rebooted with the intention of then enabling it.
However, when I attempt to re-enable it, I get an error message saying "Windows was not able to enable this device".
I'm running Windows XP Pro & the DVD player is an AOpen DUW1608/ARR. It is listed as a device in Device Manager but it has a big red cross next to it, presumably as its disabled.
Any advice anyone could provide would be appreciated.
Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 20 May 2006

Uninstall it and reboot the PC, XP should then find new hardware and reinstall it for you.

skidzy 17:23 20 May 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/\'s advice is the normal procedure,but if that dosnt work...maybe giving this a try will help click here

SteveBut 18:12 20 May 2006

Thanks to both of you, everything is working Ok again now. As a side issue, do you know why , when theres no DVD in the drive, the drive shows up as a DVD RW Drive under My Computer, but when I put a DVDRW into it, the drive changes to a CD Drive? Hopefully this is pretty irrelevant & if so, I can just ignore it!
Thanks again for your help
Steveb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires