re- Don't rely on Defender on vista

jade25 13:51 26 Jul 2007

I used Defender on XP on a beta, it never once picked up anything but had another spyware that did.
Have vista now and was told that Defender would be ok on its own. But as it was no good on the beta l was worried so l have downloaded Spybot and a full scan found 68 items and none were the small tracking ones.
I downloaded Sybot from a link on pc adviser from Hippo on another site it was an old one,
Jade

johndrew 14:13 26 Jul 2007

I run XP SP2 and although I use Defender I also use Spybot S&D, AVG Anti-Spyware and Ad-Aware SE Personal. Defender has never revealed any contamination, but the others have all picked up tracking cookies and similar plus the odd more nasty item.

I will stand corrected, but I believe that Defender is only designed to pick up some of the more serious items and ignores those of lesser risk.

I would suggest you supplement Defender the other anti-spyware programs.

birdface 14:16 26 Jul 2007

I would get rid of Defender and use A Squared,Far better program.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:29 26 Jul 2007

Tracking cookies are totally harmless and there are many false positives around.

jade25 15:34 26 Jul 2007

l forgot to say l got new pc with vista on it.
I tried to take defender off but couldn't and someone on this website tried to and he couldn't but am happy now l have spybot as used it when l was on xp and it picked everything up so was glad it went with vista as two l tried a week ago didn't but a lot of sites do not tell you,
Jade

i agree defender doesnt seem to find a lot, but dont try and remove it from vista, just run another along side it. and you do have an av program i presume? a lot of the free programs find background downloaders to be dialers and tracking cookies to be critical findings, just use a regulaly updated one and run ccleaner once a week or so.

jade25 16:51 26 Jul 2007

Am not removing defender have got spybot running beside it but just wanted people to know that Defender is useless and it was in the beta, a few friends had it as a beta and it never picked anything up for 6 frienda and myself thats why l never trusted it, a few people think its ok on its own yet it picked up nothing and spybot picked up 64 and not one was a false positive. I use cc cleaner as well as its a great prgramn and that was from a link from here,
Jade

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?