re- is defender enough

jade25 22:11 19 Jul 2007

l did a beta test on defender a few years back and it never picked any spyware up and then was with aol and it had its own spyware software and it was picking up evry time l was online as it would tell you when you was on the web l know a lot wasn't to important, now have vista and cannot find anything that will work with it excetp norton and l won't have that.
Have the new avg for viruses and its fine and had to take zone off as three days in and it wouldn't work with vista firewall but am more worried about spyware as l know the amount of time l am onlne and not to pick any up seems odd.
Has anyone else got a better idea of it , has vista got a different way of not getting spyware into the pc,
Jade

malcolme 22:16 19 Jul 2007

I've been using Vista for a long time now, using AVG and Windows Defender. I have not been caught out whislt using both and I'm on the internet all the time.

skidzy 22:20 19 Jul 2007

You wont see defender working as it works in the background,unless you open the app and use the functions.

Add Spywareblaster as a blocker,just check for updates every so often click here

I take it you are talking about Zonealarm firewall...if you run the Vista version of Zonealarm you need to disable Vista's own firewall.

My setup with Vista HP as follows;

AVG AV
Vista firewall
Defender
Spywareblaster
Spybot search and destroy
Adaware SE
Ccleaner
Winaso

All updated and run alternatively every couple of days.
ccleaner is run on shut down.

In my opinion,this is more than enough to secure and tidy up the computer.

jade25 17:00 20 Jul 2007

Thanks a lot, it was just that Defender as a beta when scanning it never seem to catch anything so was worried but spybot and cc cleaner l have but haven't seen Winso, have you a link for that one and will download Spyarer blaster.
Zone firewall for vista worked for three days then it went odd so uninstalled it and put windows vista on. I think with xp no one trusted windows firewall and now its just getting used to some things different.
Do you know of a photo program thats not as expensive as photo shop, have them both but lost the number so can't use them.
Thanks again,
Jade

sunny staines 20:26 20 Jul 2007

winaso from winaso.com free version limited to ten fix's per scan, just keep rescanning till all errors fixed. first time you run winaso it picks up about 30-40 hits to fix as it scans deeper than other registry cleaners.

jade25 15:05 21 Jul 2007

Thanks a lot
Jade

bof:) 15:26 21 Jul 2007

for a photo program have a look at Serif's website

click here

you will get a monthly email after registering with them and if you buy any of their products by phone they will always try to sell you extra but if you say no, they are not pushy at all.

The technical help with their products is also very good.

Mike

bof:) 15:32 21 Jul 2007

also look here, some software is free others is not...look for freeware.

click here

Mike

CurlyWhirly 08:17 22 Jul 2007

I uninstalled Windows Defender a while back as it never found anything (not even spyware cookies)

I also read articles saying that it's detection rate is quite poor

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone