Re: DDR 2 RAM Question, help anyone

tobyjug2007 15:20 25 Jan 2010

Hi,
i'm running XP Home with 2 GB of Kingston DDR2 RAM installed i wish to take a stick out ( only 2 slots) and put 2GB in one slot and leave the other with a 1GB installed, as XP only recognises 3GB.
My query is:
Does it matter if you install buffered and unbuffered RAM in?
I dont understand the buffered and unbuffered description, also am i better sticking with Kingston RAM, or can you Mix and Match and Branded Ram.
Many thanks in advance.

Terry Brown 16:09 25 Jan 2010

As you are running XP home with 2gb of RAM, I doubt if the extra GB will make a lot of difference.

If you want to change both stick to 2GB then it may speed up slightly, but would you notice it.
Terry

tobyjug2007 17:31 25 Jan 2010

I know what you are saying but ive always read before that the more RAM the better, it (1GB) may just allow me to run a few more programmes at the same time.
Thanks for your answer :-)

wee eddie 02:15 26 Jan 2010

With XP, which will (just) work with 256MB of RAM.

Additions to the RAM, upto 1.5GB will show noticeable differences in the response time of your PC and almost reduce it's use of Virtual Memory to zero.

Once you get beyond the 2GB level, most of our minds are unable to perceive any difference, but it is measurable, if you are using Image Intensive Software such as CAD or manipulating Images within Movies. While doing another task.

I doubt even the most avid Gamer could really tell.

Pamy 14:58 05 Feb 2010

to answere your question, the brand should not matter but the voltage and weather buffered or unbuffered will

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache