re booting from Windows Advanced Options Screen

tonyq 14:22 10 Feb 2010

A friend asked if I could have a look at her PC (Win XP Home). When the computer booted up the screen was green with warnings about TrojanSPM/LX and Error Loading qtru.lfo, cannot remember the exact wording, and nothing could be opened. Rightly or wrongly I re-booted into Safe Mode ran Malwarebyes, may have done bits of other things but cannot remember what.
The problem is now when the computer boots up it goes to the "Windows Advanced Options Screen". The only option that can be used is the Safe Mode Option which does as it says takes you to the Safe Mode screen, if you choose any other e.g. “Start Windows Normally” it just boots back to the Windows Advanced Options Screen. (I don’t think she as a Win XP Home disc)

Pineman100 14:49 10 Feb 2010

Does the boot options screen also offer you "Last known good configuration"?

If so, I should try that.

Pineman100 14:50 10 Feb 2010

Alternatively, start in Safe Mode and run System Restore. Restore the computer back to a date before the problem started.

tonyq 14:55 10 Feb 2010

Pineman100,
"Last known good configuration" from memory it booted back to Windows Advanced Options Screen

"System Restore" I think it said unobtainable or words to the effect.

gengiscant 15:02 10 Feb 2010

Try to borrow a copy of XP home and do a repair instal.

tonyq 10:11 11 Feb 2010

unable to locate/borrow a copy of Win XP Home.

gengiscant 10:55 11 Feb 2010

If you do not get any other suggestions, click on the yellow envelope next to my name and I'll send you a copy.

tonyq 11:39 11 Feb 2010

thanks you gengiscant, will wait and see what happens,and then get in touch with you.

tonyq 19:13 11 Feb 2010

gengiscant,
Re: PC Advisor Helproom Forum,I would be really grateful If you could send me a copy of Windows XP Home.
Regards T.Quarmby (tonyq)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache